How To: Extended Puppy
The Pose Library • 4m 41s
Learn the alignment, variations and modifications of extended puppy, an upper thoracic spine opener.
From a tabletop position, stack your hips under the knees and walk your torso forward as you melt your chest down.
As you inhale, melt the chest down, and as you exhale find a slight protraction of your scapulae to protect your shoulders.
- Allow the hips to shift slightly forward to create space for chest to come down towards the mat.
- If chest is still far and it's too uncomfortable, you can rest your forehead on the mat.
- Play around with elevation under your wrists, which can deepen the sensation more to the shoulders.
- Explore how it feels to bend the elbows and squeeze palms together.
- A block under your chin will shift the stretch more to the throat area.
Make sure there is never any pain or pinching in your shoulders.
Up Next in The Pose Library
How To: Headstand
Headstand tutorial, prerequisites and modifications.
Prerequisites: Make sure you can take 8-10 breaths in a dolphin pose first, and make sure there is never any pain in your neck while working towards this pose. Also- no jumping!
Modifications: Use a wall for support. Stay in the handstand tuc...
How To: Straddle Forward Fold
Straddle forward fold step by step tutorial and modifications.
Keep your spine elongated as you hinge from the hips. Keep your inner thighs spinning upwards, glutes active, quadriceps engaged and ankles flexed. Maintain wide collarbones. Use calm, steady breathing as you visualize your chest and...
How To: Seated Forward Fold
Step by step tutorial on how to find length and ease in seated forward fold (paschimottanasana).
Extend your legs forward, with the feet together. Tilt the pelvis forward into a slight anterior tilt to lengthen the lower back. Inhale, stretch up as you lengthen the spine, and as you exhale drape...