Learn the alignment, variations and modifications of extended puppy, an upper thoracic spine opener.
From a tabletop position, stack your hips under the knees and walk your torso forward as you melt your chest down.
As you inhale, melt the chest down, and as you exhale find a slight protraction of your scapulae to protect your shoulders.
- Allow the hips to shift slightly forward to create space for chest to come down towards the mat.
- If chest is still far and it's too uncomfortable, you can rest your forehead on the mat.
- Play around with elevation under your wrists, which can deepen the sensation more to the shoulders.
- Explore how it feels to bend the elbows and squeeze palms together.
- A block under your chin will shift the stretch more to the throat area.
Make sure there is never any pain or pinching in your shoulders.